The Ladybug Files

The random thoughts of a random princess.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

When in Doubt, MoveNext

So my interns were at the office last night working on their project for one of our not-for-profit clients. They seem to think I know what I'm doing, so we were writing some snappy pseudo code on the whiteboard to help them formulate a plan for the page they were working on.



At some point in the conversation, I added, "Oh Yeah! Don't forget to MoveNext!" They always forget to finish the loop, they said. I told them for the first year I actually worked in web development, MoveNext was the bane of my existence. At some point while I was at ITT learning how to do what I do, I decided I was going to write a book about my experiences there. A whole chapter was devoted to MoveNext.



It's amazing how that one simple command applies to most of life. When you are done with what you're doing, MoveNext. If you get stuck on what you're doing, MoveNext. If things aren't going the way they're supposed to or you get an unexpected result, either handle it, or MoveNext. MOVE ON. It's a good principle to live by. If you never MoveNext, you get stuck in the same routine, doing the same thing over and over again. And what fun is that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home